Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Research Security and Export Control FAQs

Export control laws are federal regulations that govern how certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas to anyone — including U.S. citizens — or to foreign nationals on U.S. soil. All research institutions receiving Federal science and engineering support in excess of 50 million dollars per year must certify to the funding agency that the institution has established and operates a research security program.

There are a variety of concerns related to the shipment of any item being shipped to a collaborator ranging from the type of item being sent; item’s destination; and / or the citizenship of the collaborator. Additionally, there may be governmental approvals and license requirements.  Please review the Shipping & Procurement page or contact the UT Export Control Team for more information.

When sponsoring a visitor who will engage in research, your departmental business manager will help you prepare and process a Visitors Information Packet, at least 30 days prior to the visit. See UT Policy RE0002: Visitors Engaged in Research and more information at Visitors Engaged in Research.

If anything changes in your project, please contact our office!