Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

PI Transfers

When a PI transfers to UT, we advise contacting the Division of Research Administration for assistance with transferring existing awards from their previous institution. The coordinator responsible for the funding agency of the existing award will work with the PI and their previous institution to facilitate the transfer.

Contact DRA at (865) 974-3466 or for additional information.

When a PI plans to leave an organization during the course of a grant, the PI’s original and new institutions may agree to transfer the award. In such cases, the sponsor must review the proposed transfer of award and, if they approve, will facilitate the transfer of any unobligated funds to the PI’s new institution.

Additionally, the PI’s original institution has the option to propose a replacement PI to the sponsor or may request that the grant be terminated. Before initiating any of these actions, DRA will obtain written instruction from the PI’s department head.