The Foreign Travel Fund is used to pay one third of the cost of foreign travel for faculty to present the results of their scholarly activity at meetings or conferences. There is a general expectation that these funds be matched equally by department and college funding at a 1:1:1 match.
The SARIF budget for foreign travel is limited. The maximum award is $1,000. In addition to the department and college match, other criteria are considered:
- Preference is given to younger faculty members
- No more than two representatives from a single academic unit may receive SARIF funding to attend the same conference
- Consideration will also be given to the significance and quality of the conference, as indicated by sponsorship and history
Faculty members who are not tenured or tenure-track may apply for these travel awards. Long-term benefit to the university should be clearly described in the request.
SARIF foreign travel funds are to be used for international meetings and conferences held outside the 50 states of USA. The maximum award is $1,000, except for Canada which has a maximum award of $500.
How to Apply
Submit an e-mail request to department head; department head indicates the department’s support and forwards the string of e-mails to the associate dean or dean of college; the associate dean or dean of college indicates the college’s support in the e-mail; and forwards the string of e-mails to AVCRD@utk.edu. Please include any information to assist in decision making. Requests may be submitted anytime during the year. There is no limit, even within the year, on how many times a faculty member can apply for these funds.
Due to the source of the SARIF funds, this program is limited to faculty whose primary appointment is associated with the Knoxville campus. This excludes Colleges of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and Veterinary Medicine from participating. Researchers from the UT Institute of Agriculture should contact institute research administrative staff for information about similar support.
The guidelines for submitting a request for matching funds are as follows:
- The request should include a description of the trip, purpose of the trip including conference title and website, conference dates, dates of the trip, and a budget of estimated expenses.
- Submit a statement of the department and college match agreement. Example of match funding:
- Department: $500
- College: $500
- SARIF: $500
- Total: $1,500
- SARIF Funds are limited. Requestors should make efforts to obtain a share of the funding from collegiate, departmental and/or other sources.
- If funded, funds will be transferred to the appropriate departmental account after the travel expenses have been reimbursed.
Please direct inquiries to: