The Office of Research & Engagement manages SARIF to support research and creative activities at UT. One part of this program is the Exhibit, Performance, and Publication Expenses Fund (EPPE).
The intent of this fund is to help faculty defray expenses involved in disseminating the results of their scholarly activity through publication, performance, or exhibit. This fund is for works that have been accepted. It does not fund the preparation of submissions.
There are three categories of SARIF EPPE Funds: Art, Book Subvention, and Other.
Art request should pertain to such expenses (but are not limited to) as mat, mounting, framing, packing, and shipping or artworks or rental of exhibit space. (EPPE Art Application)
Book Subvention request should pertain to such expenses as (but are not limited to) book publishing, indexing, preparation of manuscripts, page charges; diagrams, and photographs. (Publication Subvention Application)
Costs involved in the typing of publication manuscripts are excluded from this program, as are reprint charges.
All other EPPE request should pertain to such expenses (but are not limited to) as preparation of programs or other page charges, subscription fees, articles published in a journal, and materials needed for exhibit. (EPPE Other Application)
There is no limit, even within the year, on how many times a faculty member can apply for these funds. It is anticipated that the individual grants will be small – on the order of a few hundred up to a thousand dollar annual maximum.
Researchers from the UT Institute of Agriculture should contact institute research administrative staff for information about similar support. EPPE will consider joint applications between researchers on the Knoxville campus and the Agriculture campus.
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted anytime during the year, and decisions will be made in a timely fashion by a committee of the Research Council.
- Complete the appropriate application (Art, Publication Subvention, or Other EPPE).
- E-mail application and supporting documents (supporting documents not to exceed 6 pages) to Department Head of requestor.
- Department Head should indicate on the application if financial support is being provided and how much and forward the application and supporting documents to the Associate Dean of department’s college.
- Associate Dean should indicate on the application if financial support and how much is being provided and forward the application and supporting documents to AVCRD@utk.edu.
- The applications should include a description of and the venue for the publication, exhibit, or performance, as well as a description of the expenses required to place the work in the public domain. The anticipated time of performance, publication, or exhibit should also be given.
- The committee will consider various criteria, including: impact of the work on the field, the intended audience, and the quality or rank of the journal/show/series. Some documentation of the situation is required (e.g., invitation letter, page charge, description, etc.).
- Funds are limited. Applicants who have outside funding should indicate this on the application and attach funding letter.
- Applications must be submitted in electronic form to AVCRD@utk.edu.
- If funded, faculty’s accounting office should contact Melanie Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org) to transfer the funds.
- While the EPPE funds are generally restricted to supporting the exhibit, performance, and publication activities of full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty, the committee invites other faculty to request assistance.