The Office of Research and Engagement (ORE) is now accepting proposals for the 2018 Professional and Scholarly Development Awards (PSDA) in the Visual and Performing Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. These $5,000 awards are intended as seed funding to support applications for external research funding, collaborations, book contracts, juried competitions, fellowships, and journal papers in direct alignment with our Vol Vision 2020 goals. ORE anticipates making up to 20 awards for 2018.
Tenured or tenure-track faculty at the rank of assistant professor or above in the visual and performing arts, humanities and social sciences (including law, architecture and business) are eligible to apply. Lecturers in eligible fields may also apply if they have served as full-time members of their department for at least five consecutive academic years prior to the academic year of application. Faculty working in fields of engineering, and the life and natural sciences are not eligible.
PSDA funds may be used to cover such costs as research supplies, travel to collaborate or to work in libraries, or archives, or in other ways, as long as the outcome will be the professional and/or scholarly development of the faculty member. These funds are not intended to support travel to meetings or for purposes of scholarly presentation or for faculty or graduate student salaries.
Deadlines and submission procedures
Applicants should prepare and submit the proposal as a single PDF document to ORE at AVCRD@utk.edu no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, November 17, 2017, with a copy to the applicant’s department head.
An internal committee, convened by ORE, will evaluate the proposals based on the following review criteria:
- The potential impact of the proposed activity on the applicant’s overall professional development and scholarship
- The potential of the proposed activity to generate tangible outcomes, like specific research or fellowship proposals, collaborations, book contracts, juried competitions, or journal papers
Final funding decisions will be made by ORE based upon the recommendations of the internal committee. Awards will be announced by December 22, 2017. Award period will be January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018.
Each proposal must include the following elements:
- Cover Sheet
- A narrative of no more than 1,500 words describing the proposed professional development activities. This narrative should be written for an educated, non-specialist audience and must include a clear explanation of methodology and expected outcomes.
- An itemized budget for the amount requested as well as a projected timeline for use of the funds. Estimated expenses for lodging, meals, and travel must be based on UT travel reimbursement rates and CONUS rates published at GSA.gov.
- Plans for seeking additional funding, including a projected timeline for application.
- Vita of the applicant (5 page max)
If you have questions concerning this solicitation, please email Bruce LaMattina at AVCRD@utk.edu.