The Office of Research and Engagement partners with other sources to provide incentives for research, scholarly, and creative activities, as well as services supporting faculty in their search for funding sponsors.
- All UT researchers (faculty, staff and students) at all campuses and institutes are eligible
- Projects must be related to an existing UT invention/creation disclosure OR a proposal can be accompanied by a new UT invention/creation disclosure
- Up to $15,000 (direct costs) will be awarded to the highest ranking proposals
- Funds administered by the University of Tennessee Research Foundation
- For projects that enhance the outreach and engagement mission of the university
- Funding up to $2,000
- Funds administered by the Office of Research and Engagement via Campus Coordinator for Outreach and Engagement
- Support to build partnerships with PIs at ORNL
- Must match proposed project to a similar project at ORNL
- Funds administered by Science Alliance
- Supports transdisciplinary multi-investigator research focused on environmental sustainability
- Projects are reviewed annually, but may be eligible for multi-year funding
- Cost sharing by investigators and/or their departments is encouraged
- Proposals should request no more than $50K per year
- Visit isse.utk.edu to download RFP and budget worksheet
- Intended to enhance faculty collaboration between SEC universities
- Grants range from $500-$1000 each
- Funds are intended for use toward travel costs only
- Matching funds for external proposals.
- Matches from other sources within the University are required.
- Requests reviewed at the time of submission of the proposal by a committee in the Office of Research and Engagement (one week lead time required).
- Applications should demonstrate a need for bridge support between existing research effort and eventual external support
- Up to $50,000 per request is available from ORE to maintain projects over a short duration
- At least an equal (1:1) amount of matching funds is required from the PI’s department/college
- ORE Bridge Funding Loans will be paid back to ORE by the department according to a pre-established repayment plan
Open Publishing Support Fund — A fund to pay fees that support open access journals, administered in conjunction with UT Libraries.
The Chancellor provides additional support to researchers through the following programs:
Chancellor’s Grants for Faculty Research — Highly competitive research fellowships that provide a one course release for tenured and tenure-track faculty except those in engineering and natural sciences to significantly strengthen grant or fellowship proposals for external funding. Within two semesters of the conclusion of this fellowship, recipients must prepare and submit fellowship or grant proposals to external funding sources.
Support for Graduate Students
The following awards specifically offer support to graduate students at UT Knoxville:
Student/Faculty Research Awards — These Graduate School awards are meant to advance the work for both faculty and graduate students. They are intended to help support student research; give students experience writing grants; and foster the mentoring relationship between faculty and graduate students. Grants up to $5000 may be used to purchase supplies needed for research; for travel to work in other laboratories, libraries, or archives; for specialized training or in a variety of other ways, so long as the outcome will be the professional development of the graduate students and the advancement of an identified research/creative agenda of both the student and faculty member.
Graduate Student Senate Travel Awards — Three travel award announcements are made throughout the year, designed to roughly coincide with the academic term periods. These awards are based on financial need and are given to provide partial reimbursement of certain allowable expenses such as transportation, lodging and registration expenses.