The University of Tennessee Board of Trustees approved a proposal today to rename a joint UT-Oak Ridge National Laboratory research institute.
Ernest Wollan (left) and Clifford Shull (right) work with a double-crystal neutron spectrometer at the ORNL X-10 Graphite Reactor in 1949. (Credit: ORNL)
The Joint Institute for Neutron Sciences is now the Shull Wollan Center—A Joint Institute for Neutron Sciences, named in honor of two esteemed physicists and pioneers in neutron scattering, Clifford Shull and Ernest Wollan.
Trustees unanimously approved the proposal at the full board meeting held today at the University of Tennessee, Martin.
Shull and Wollan studied neutron scattering at ORNL in the 1940s while working on the X-10 Graphite Reactor. The work they accomplished together after the Manhattan Project established neutron diffraction as a quantitative research tool.