Recognitions, March 21
Haslam Students Raise Over $17,000 for Clean Drinking Water
Procter & Gamble recently honored a group of Haslam of Business students for making an outsized impact on citizens’ lives in developing countries. The students organized and executed a walkathon on campus to raise more than $17,000 for Hands Across the Water, a clean water initiative. Hands Across the Water distributes water purification packets produced by Procter & Gamble that contain a powder to both disinfect and separate sediment from water.
Fulbright US Scholar Fellowship Presentation
Alexa Rowland, a Fulbright program officer, will be here on March 28-29 to provide valuable guidance about the prestigious core Fulbright US Scholar fellowship, which offers faculty members one or two-semester fellowships to pursue research or teaching in foreign countries.
She will give a general presentation on 12:00 p.m. Thursday, March 29 in A004 Blount Hall. Please encourage your colleagues to register here.
This award is for faculty only; graduate students and undergraduates must apply for the student Fulbright award.
In addition, please encourage your colleagues to arrange for an individual consultation with Ms. Rowland. She will be available in twenty-minute slots on Wednesday, March 28 starting from 1:30-3:10 pm and on Thursday, March 29 starting from 8-11:20 am and again from 1:20-3:00 pm. Interested faculty members should contact Alan Rutenberg to arrange for a consultation.
ORE Offers Training Related to Upcoming Fellowship Opportunities
Two prestigious fellowship programs in the humanities and social sciences are accepting applications for the 2017-18 academic year. UT faculty are encouraged to apply to the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) and the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation fellowship programs.
In support of faculty who are interested in applying, the Office of Research and Engagement is offering workshops specifically geared toward these opportunities.
Funding Opportunities, July 21
Please contact Paul Montgomery (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding your interest in federal opportunities.
The Office of Naval Research (ONR) has published its FY 18 Basic Research Challenge (BRC) solicitation. This year’s BRC is interested in the following 4 topics:
- Randomized Numerical Linear Algebra for Large-Scale, Efficient Matrix Computations
- Levitated Optomechanics
- Exploring Compositional Space to Predict and Evolve Multi-Principal Element Alloys
- Guaranteed Performance of Multibody Control Systems
A maximum 5-page white paper is due by August 18, and a full proposal is due by November 17. ONR anticipates one award for topic 3 and multiple awards for the other topics, each totaling up to $6M over 4 years.
Please contact Alan Rutenberg (email@example.com) regarding your interest in Humanities opportunities.
- ACLS invites research applications from scholars in all disciplines of the humanities and related social sciences. The ultimate goal of the project should be a major piece of scholarly work by the applicant, which can take the form of a monograph, articles, digital publication(s), critical edition, or other scholarly resources.For 2017-18, the program has expanded to award 78 fellowships.
- Guggenheim Fellowships are intended for individuals who have already demonstrated exceptional capacity for productive scholarship or exceptional creative ability in the arts.
The application deadline for ACLS Fellowships is September 27, 2017.The deadline for Guggenheim Fellowships is September 19, 2017. There will be separate workshops in late August devoted to each of these two fellowship programs.