Given today’s fiscal uncertainties, UT Knoxville’s Scholarly Activity and Research Incentive Funds (SARIF) will be paused through August 2020. SARIF provides support for research and creative activities via 10 separate funds and award programs. For now, the SARIF program will not be accepting new applications for FY20 or FY21; however, commitments that have already been made will be honored.
There are two exceptions to the interruption in SARIF funding:
- SARIF Exhibit, Performance and Publication Expense (EPPE) Subventions will remain available as faculty continue to produce books and other works that qualify for support from the program.
- SARIF Open Publishing Support Fund will remain available as faculty continue to publish articles in eligible open access journals.
“This pause gives us an opportunity to reflect. Throughout the next few months, I’ll be working with our associate deans of research to review and improve aspects of the SARIF program,” said Kimberly Eck, assistant vice chancellor of research development, noting that the discussions will serve as an opportunity to re-evaluate how SARIF investments can best support and advance UT’s goals related to research, scholarship, and creative activity. “This discussion might also include our seed program,” she added, which typically competes in the fall.
Faculty members are encouraged to communicate their ideas and suggestions related to SARIF and other internal funding opportunities to their college’s associate dean of research:
- Architecture and Design: Katherine Ambroziak (email@example.com)
- Arts and Sciences: Larry McKay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Communications and Information: Suzie Allard (email@example.com)
- Education, Health, and Human Sciences: Hollie Raynor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Haslam College of Business: Charles Noble (email@example.com)
- Law: Michael Hidgon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nursing: Tami Wyatt (email@example.com)
- Tickle College of Engineering: Bill Dunne (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Social Work: Bill Nugent (email@example.com)
- UT Institute of Agriculture (Research): David White (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- UT Libraries: Holly Mercer (email@example.com)
- Veterinary Medicine: David Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Exceptional time-sensitive requests for support should be discussed with the appropriate associate dean of research.
Questions or requests for a no-cost extension for a current award should be directed to email@example.com.