The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, hosts a number of research and scholarly centers that provide focused research opportunities for faculty collaborators. These centers are recognized by the campus when they meet certain criteria, and all research centers are evaluated on a regular basis.
The Office of Research & Engagement administers a number of the centers, including
- The Center for Environmental Biotechnology, which fosters a multidisciplinary approach to preparing environmental scientists to use biotechnology to solve environmental problems
- The Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment, which promotes development of interdisciplinary policies, technologies, and educational programs that involve UT researchers in responses to pressing environmental and security issues. Five other centers are hosted by ISSE, including centers for clean products, international computer networking initiatives (GLORIAD), sustainable business and development, clean fuels, and water resources research.
- The National Defense Business Institute, which focuses on defense acquisition in aerospace and defense
- The National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS), which focuses on the intersection of biology and mathematics, with support from the National Science Foundation
- The Science Alliance, which fosters cooperative research ventures between the university and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, with a focus on materials science, neutron science, computational science, and bioinformatics
- The Sustainable Energy and Education Research Center, which focuses interdisciplinary attention on sustainable energy research, education, and innovation.
- The Joint Institutes
- Advanced Materials
- Biological Sciences
- Computational Sciences (and the National Institute for Computational Sciences)
- Heavy Ion Research
- Neutron Sciences
Two major centers report directly to the Office of the Chancellor:
- The Howard H. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy (and the Institute for Nuclear Security)
- The Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education
A significant number of centers and institutes reside in the various colleges of the university. Other educational centers, service centers and institutes have been officially recognized on campus.