In an effort to improve accessibility of campus information, instructional materials, and technology, UT has provided several resources to faculty and staff over the last year.
In 2014, the Tennessee Higher Education Commission charged the UT System and the Tennessee Board of Regents to develop and implement policies for accessible information materials, technology, and digital curricula used in the college and university setting. The term accessible means a person with a disability is afforded the same opportunity to acquire the same information, engage in the same interactions, and enjoy the same services as a person without a disability in an equally effective and equally integrated manner, with substantially equivalent ease of use.
Following THEC’s direction, Chancellor Cheek formed the UT Knoxville Accessibility Implementation Team to work closely with faculty, staff, and students in establishing and achieving accessibility goals. The team is charged with developing a campus policy on accessibility of instructional materials and technology.
A system-level policy on accessibility (IT0126) was approved and became effective on October 16, 2015. In addition to this policy, the following are currently being developed and implemented:
- A campus program addressing the accessibility of information, instructional materials, and technology;
- A timeline for improving high traffic campus websites;
- Training for faculty and staff on identifying, using, and implementing accessible materials and technology in the classroom and in all communications;
- Internal monitoring of compliance in accordance with the system policy; and
- Ongoing evaluation for the effectiveness of our campus program.
The Office of Research and Engagement is moving toward making the documents hosted on its family of websites fully accessible. We encourage others to learn how to do the same by attending one of the many fall training sessions available through the Office of Information Technology.
Find information on developing accessible documents, learning environments, and websites at accessibility.utk.edu/external-links/
Read more about UT’s efforts to improve accessibility at accessibility.utk.edu.