The University of Tennessee, Knoxville has established an annual affiliated fellowship at the American Academy in Rome, in May and/or June. The selected UT affiliated fellow becomes a full member of the scholarly and artistic community at the American Academy, with all of the opportunities and privileges of Rome Prize fellows and affiliated fellows from other institutions.
The application deadline for the May/June 2018 Fellowship is April 1, 2017 at 5 p.m.
This fellowship is available to all tenured and tenure-track UT faculty members in fields eligible for a Rome Prize from the American Academy. Lecturers in eligible fields may also apply if they have served as full-time members of their department for at least five consecutive academic years prior to the academic year of application.
Fields in the Humanities:
- Ancient Studies
- Medieval Studies
- Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Modern Italian Studies
Fields in the Arts:
- Historic Preservation and Conservation
- Landscape Architecture
- Musical Composition
- Visual Arts
Applications in other fields in the humanities and the arts that are consistent with the expectations and standards of the Rome Prize may be considered at the discretion of the selection committee. With this fellowship, the Office of Research and Engagement will cover up to four weeks of residential costs for the affiliated fellow. The fellow’s department and college are responsible for covering travel expenses. A committee consisting primarily of UT, Knoxville faculty members and administrators who previously have been in residence at the American Academy will select the affiliated fellow. Please note: some preference will be given to those who have previously applied for the Rome Prize.
The application must include the following:
- Cover page, including the name, department, and college of the applicant and the full title of the proposal
- Current resume/curriculum vitae
- Project proposal (maximum of two double spaced pages) describing the nature of the work the applicant intends to undertake in Rome, and identifying special resources in Italy important to the project
- Three reference letters
- Dates of any previous applications for the Rome prize
Please submit applications, including reference letters to Alan Rutenberg (email@example.com) by 5 p.m. on April 1, 2017.