Certificate in Grant Writing & Proposal Development
The Office of Research & Engagement now offers a Certificate in Grant Writing and Proposal Development for members of UT Knoxville research community. The advantages of certification are:
- You will gain a broad but thorough understanding of the grant-writing process, from locating appropriate funding opportunities and solicitations to evaluating the requirements of funding agencies and preparing a responsive proposal document.
- You will gain an in-depth understanding of the processes and procedures for submitting proposals at UT Knoxville.
- You will receive UT certification marking your acquisition of the full range of grant-writing knowledge and skills.
- You will not invest departmental or research resources in outside training, which is often expensive, yet not focused on the needs and requirements of UT research administration.
How to Enroll
If you are interested in pursuing certification, email Lesli Rowan at firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll. Your progress will be tracked as you complete the courses outlined below. Any of the required or elective courses completed prior to June, 2011 will also count towards certification.
Each of these courses must be completed for certification:
- Writing Successful Grants, Parts I and II (2 hrs)
- Strategies for Success in Sponsored Research (2 hrs)
- Finding Funding (2 hrs)
- Success with Proposal Development—The Proposal Development Team (PDT) (1 hour)
- Responsible Conduct of Research – online course (3-4 hrs)
- CITI (geared towards biomedical research but social science modules available)
- UTK (specific to social and behavioral sciences at UTK)
Choose three (3) electives from the list below:
- Building the NSF Grant Proposal (3 hrs)
- Building the NIH Grant Proposal (3 hrs)
- Career Development for Pre- and Post-Docs (2 hrs)
- NSF Career and Bridge Grants (2 hrs)
- Compliance (2+ hrs — choose one or more)
The following Proposal Development & Administration Training Courses are offered through UT Employee and Organizational Development but are not required for this certificatation:
- Direct Costing
- Cost Transfers and Closeout
- Cost Sharing
- Advanced Topics and Subcontract Monitoring
- Business Ethics for Sponsored Projects
- Overview of Accounting for Sponsored Projects
1534 White Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37996-1529
Phone: (865) 974-9310
Fax: (865) 974-2805