The mission of the Office of Research & Engagement is to enable all faculty, other investigators, and students to achieve their full potential as scholars.
The Office of Research & Engagement facilitates the university’s research mission by:
- Assisting faculty in securing sponsorships for research, creative, and scholarly activities.
- Promoting research as a way to enrich teaching and service at the university and to enhance the social and economic environment of the region and the state.
- Extending the protection of relevant legal, ethical, and safety standards and regulations to faculty, staff, students, research subjects, and the public.
- Ensuring that all research agreements protect the legal, fiscal, and programmatic interests of the university.
- Sharing information appropriately with the general public and with targeted internal and external interest groups about the university’s research accomplishments and needs.
- Supports engagement and outreach efforts of the campus community
The Office of Research & Engagement administers research activities on UT’s Knoxville campus and provides selected services to other university locations. The office:
- Handles grants and contracts review for faculty researchers on the UT Knoxville campus.
- Oversees various programs that provide research incentives to faculty and students under the authority of the chancellor of UT Knoxville. The office also oversees internal reviews for proposals that might be competitive among the five UT entities.
- Supervises compliance with all relevant regulations and guidelines related to human subjects, biosafety, and radiation safety for UT Knoxville and the Institute of Agriculture. These regulations apply not only to faculty doing research but to students and staff involved in certain research projects.
- Provides information about research opportunities to the entire University of Tennessee system through its membership in the SciVal Funding online data base.
- Maintains and disseminates summary data on research awards and accomplishments for the University of Tennessee.
The office also works closely with the University of Tennessee Research Foundation, a private, not-for-profit foundation designed to support faculty research and entrepreneurship in an environment that blends academic and business values.