Equipment and Infrastructure Fund
The Scholarly Activity and Research Incentive Fund (SARIF) provides approximately $300,000 annually in Equipment and Infrastructure Awards to enhance UTís research mission by providing support for equipment purchases, upgrades, and repairs. Please note that the Equipment and Infrastructure Awards can also be used to fund equipment and other research infrastructure needs in support of recently hired faculty and researchers. Generally, there is at least a one-to-one, and preferably two-to-one, cost-sharing requirement by departments and colleges. Due to the source of the SARIF funds, this program is limited to faculty whose primary appointment is associated with the Knoxville campus (excluding Colleges of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and Veterinary Medicine).
Proposals can come from individual faculty or groups of faculty and must include statements of support from departments, colleges, and centers indicating the level of cost-sharing commitment. A committee of the Research Council will review the proposals and make recommendations for awards. Decisions will be made and awardees will be informed in November. Funds will be available immediately and to the extent practicable should be invoiced by July 1. The costs for large equipment purchases may be spread over two or more fiscal years.
How to Apply
The Office of Research & Engagement issues a call for proposals from faculty and units once per year. Proposals must include:
- A statement of the individual or unit research agenda, and how the proposal addresses that agenda, or a request to repair, replace or enhance infrastructure should emphasize how the request addresses a vital need in the unit.
- A justification of impact showing the number of faculty and research projects that will be affected.
- A budget summary.
- A cost-sharing plan showing other funds from the department, college, or other sources that are being committed.
Proposals are restricted to five (5) pages in length. Proposals exceeding five pages will be returned without review. Proposals and the department's and college's agreement to cost share should be submitted electronically to Jane Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by noon, September 19, 2012.
Criteria to be used in making awards from this fund are:
- Scholarly merit of the proposal and the significance of the research agenda
- Strength of justification of need for items of basic research infrastructure
- Number of faculty and students benefiting from the award
- Potential for increasing scholarly achievement and external research funding
- Previous effort in seeking external funds (if appropriate)
- The level of departmental/college/other cost-sharing
Office of Research & Engagement
1534 White Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37996-1529
Phone: (865) 974-0437
Fax: (865) 974-7400