The Office of Research & Engagement is committed to supporting faculty and students in their search for sponsors who will fund their projects in research, public service, and instruction.
- Scholarly and Research Incentive Funds (SARIF) — Programs administered by the Office of Research & Engagement to support research and creative activities for faculty and principal investigators whose departments fall under the jurisdiction of the Chancellor of UT's Knoxville campus.
- Organized Research Unit (ORU) Funding — Funding designed to help organized research units pursue external funding and become self-sufficient, usually within a five-year time period, or to help sustain ORUs with a large return on investment.
- Additional UT Funding Opportunities — Funding available from other campus organizations that partner with the Office of Research & Engagement.
- Open Publishing Support Fund — A fund to pay fees that support open access journals, administered in conjunction with UT Libraries.
External Funding Calendars
- Targeted Funding Announcements — A database of funding opportunities identified to be of interest to particular groups who are notified via email.
- Limited Submission Opportunities — Funding database showing the status of projects that limit the number of proposals UTK can submit.
- Young Investigator Opportunities — Listing of programs intended for late postdoctoral investigators and young faculty.
Self-Directed External Funding Searches and Resources
- SciVal Funding — An online tool that helps researchers find new opportunities and obtain relevant information to improve the chances for award success.
- Grants.gov — Grants.gov is the source to find and apply for federal government grants.
- Foundation Directory Online (FDO) — Provides news and a searchable database containing information on nearly 600 grantmaking foundations and companies. Note: Can only be accessed from computers on the UT Knoxville campus network.
- Broad Agency Announcements (BAAs) — Listing of competitive solicitation procedures used by U.S. Department of Defense agencies.
- Research Development & Grant Writing News — An electronic newsletter published by Academic Research Funding Strategies, LLC designed to help faculty learn how to compete successfully for research funding from federal agencies and foundations.
Humanities Research Support
The Office of Research & Engagement currently has one director of proposal development, who works with faculty members and departments in the humanities to identify funding opportunities. For further information, visit the UT Humanities Center website.
A number of Listservs have been created to notify faculty of the latest DOE, NIH and NSF funding opportunities. For more information, visit the Listservs page.
Professor and Coordinator of Electronic Research Administration
Office of Research & Engagement
1534 White Ave.
Knoxville, TN 37996-1529
Phone: (865) 974-0390
Fax: (865) 974-7400